Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Another Mother's Day has come and gone and I can say that once again I have been filled with mixed emotions.  I find myself remembering the times I had with my mother a lot around this time of year.  It's only natural to think of your mom on Mother's Day. I remember a specific Mother's Day when my mom and her friend Mary came to my house for a cookout.  We had a terrific meal and it was nice to have Mary here.  Her children were...well let's just say absent from her life.  I was glad for her to part of our day and not to spend it alone.  After dinner we went to Walmart and shopped a bit and then mom dropped me back at home.  About an hour later she called and said she would be in the driveway to come out and get something.  I went out and she handed me a small box.  The box contained a pair of diamond earrings she bought for me for Mother's Day.  What a great surprise!

But I not only think of my mom, I think of my grandmothers and my dear mother in law, all of whom have gone to heaven.  They were all such a big part of my life and it's hard to believe that my time with them is gone.  This is what has been on my mind most the last few days. I have been thinking about how we just don't realize how important our Mothers are until they are no longer with us.  I miss so many things about my mom and the other wonderful mother figures I had in my life.  I miss their wisdom and patience and their willingness to lend and ear. 

The message at church this morning was on the simplicity of God and that we get so busy with our "schedules" that we never really relax and quietly listen for what God is wanting us to know.  I can identify with busy schedules and feeling like my head is cluttered with all the many things I need to do.  It's very easy to fill my days with this and that and even to waste time.  I don't want to waste my days.  I want to have friends that encourage me and I want to be a blessing to my family.  I want my days to count for something. 

Help me Lord to stop and listen for what you are trying to tell me.   Help me to redeem the time, and to put you, your Word and your people before all of the "schedules" and demands.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment