Thursday, June 16, 2011

Precious Memories

Today was a hard day for the Burns family.  We sat by the bedside of our wonderful Papaw Burns as he took his final breaths on Earth.  The day was filled with tears and memories of what a great man he was.  So dedicated to God and family and church. As I watched him slip away, I couldn't help but remember with fondness how fun he was when I was a child.  Always laughing and telling jokes and simply enjoying life.  He was quite the character, but time and age had stolen his zest for life. He seemed homesick for a place he had never seen, but had prepared for his entire life. 


One of his favorite songs was Beulah Land..in fact, I will be singing that song at his funeral; a request he made many years ago.These pictures were taken at his 92nd birthday.  I will never forget this day, not because we had a great time, or because he got a special gift. The most precious memory I have of this day is the prayer he prayed before we ate the birthday dinner.



 He gave thanks for God's mercy and love and for the family he had been blessed with.  Then he prayed a very eloquent prayer asking God to help him to love people more and to love them the way He loves them, and believe me, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. At the end of his prayer he said the words I had heard him pray hundreds of times in my life...."and we'll never fail to give you all the praise...amen".





I have so many precious memories of my Papaw.  I will hold them in my heart as long as I live. I never hear this song anymore, but it seems so appropriate as I reflect on the happier days I spent with my grandpa.  He was certainly one of kind...I will miss him.


PRECIOUS MEMORIES, HOW THEY LINGER
HOW THEY EVER FLOOD MY SOUL
IN THE STILLNESS, OF THE MIDNIGHT
PRECIOUS, SACRED SCENES UNFOLD

PRECIOUS MEMORIES, UNSEEN ANGELS
SENT FROM SOMEWHERE TO MY SOUL
HOW THEY LINGER, EVER NEAR ME
AND THE SACRED PAST UNFOLD.

AS I TRAVEL, ON LIFE'S PATHWAY
KNOW NOT WHAT THE YEARS MAY HOLD;
AS I PONDER, HOPE GROWS FONDER
PRECIOUS MEMORIES FLOOD MY SOUL.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry about the loss of your grandpa! I had no idea. How wonderful that you got to share that moment that you wrote about so beautifully in your previous post! I guess this Father's Day you're giving back to your heavenly Father the gift of a wonderful grandpa that He first gave to you. You both are blessed! I'll be praying for you in the upcoming days, and know the TWO of them will be smiling when you sing that special song.

    ReplyDelete