Sunday, September 26, 2010

Be faithful to your good upbringing

Yesterday we celebrated my Papaw Burns' 93rd birthday.  It was a bittersweet day for me.  Several of his old friends came to the nursing home to cheer him and sing Happy Birthday.  But seeing those old friends made me realize how quickly life is passing for him.  My grandmother has been gone for 11 years now and in the past year Papaw's health has deteriorated tremendously.  It breaks my heart to see him living in a nursing home...the one thing he always said he never wanted to do.  After the stroke, he could no longer walk or care for himself in any way so a nursing home was the best option for him.  It's a clean place and seems safe and though he always says "I'm going home soon", we know this will most likely be the place he will take his final breath.

The party made me miss my grandma and think about my years as a youngster and the time I spent with them.  They took me to church and encouraged me to sing and play the piano.  I always felt safe with them.  My thoughts of days gone by prompted me to pick up the little New Testament Bible they gave when I was young and while thumbing through it I came across an underlined scripture. 1 Timothy 3:14 -  But continue thou in the things which thou has learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou has learned them."  This little Bible has paraphrased this portion of scripture this way "Be faithful to your good upbringing".

Lord, I am so thankful for my grandparents and my good upbringing.  I'm thankful for good parents and people that loved me.  I'm thankful for the things I was taught as a child and for the many many blessings in my life.  Help me to never forget my good upbringing. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment